Our new series, Tiny Birth Stories, is aimed at sharing real-life stories from our readers to our readers. In just 100 words or less, we’re bringing you the raw, the funny and the heartwarming stories you’ve lived while bringing babies into the world. Here are five stories that will have you laughing, crying and nodding your head in solidarity. 

From the moment your baby arrives in the world, you have a lot to think about. Safety 1st has products to ensure the safety and well-being of children in cars, homes, and everywhere in between—giving you one less thing to stress about. Learn more about the highest standards of baby safety established by Safety 1st.

I pushed my baby back inside by Alexandra 

My first labor nightmare was at 32 weeks: I looked down to see tiny feet between my legs. “Not yet, sweet girl. It’s too early,” I pushed her back inside. … Iris Elizabeth was born precipitously IRL the next day. My usual AM Braxton Hicks turned into rapid-fire contractions, lodging my tiny transverse babe into my birth canal. Fully effaced, I dilated from 2-to-8cm in 15 minutes, and dramatically broke my waters on the way to L&D admitting. Before I could process what was happening, I was in recovery from emergency C, with a preemie in the NICU. I lived my nightmare, but a year later, my sweet girl is my best dream come true.

Baby number 4 at home by Sarah B.

I was expecting my fourth baby. My two oldest daughters were home from school the morning that I started contractions at 8am. We watched Mamma Mia 2 and I made a big pot of stew, pausing to grip the counter in between chopping. Hours later at 10pm, I was draped over my yoga ball with my music playing its rhythmic beats. My water broke and I knew the baby was coming.. I yelled, “wake up the girls!” My oldest jumped onto the bed alongside the midwives. I heard my baby cry and my daughter said, “It’s a girl!”

My Covid silver lining by Rachel B. 

A warm June day, my contractions started at 4:30pm. Hanging with family, things accelerated quickly when my water broke around 7pm. By the time we got to the hospital around 8:30pm I was already 6cm dilated. This being my first child, I was preparing for a long birth and needing an epidural, but my son had other plans. BAM, I was 10cm dilated and ready to push! He graced us with his presence at 10:28pm. My sweet Covid silver lining! Such a gem he has been.

Nothing was prepared, and that’s ok by Allison C. 

I was due with my 2nd baby on Thanksgiving day. My first had been induced (eventual Csection) at 41 weeks, so, even through my pregnancy had been tough (subchorionic hematoma, appendectomy, and an international move to name a few!), I was shocked on 10/30 to stand up out of bed and feel my water break! We hadn’t packed a bag or prepped any baby things, yet. We ran around trying to gather a few things we would need, had my sister come stay with our daughter, and went to the hospital. I was hoping for a VBAC, but labor never really began. Around 10 am on 10/31, we opted for a repeat csection. Our beautiful Halloween boy was born without any preemie complications. He was a whopping 7lb14oz at 35 weeks 6 days! His birth taught me that you don’t need every little thing perfect for delivery and a new baby. A lot of prayers and a lot of love (and some wonderful family to get your house ready while you are in the hospital) are enough! Halloween is a little more fun every year now!

No time to make it INTO the hospital by Amber H.

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of our third baby, I woke up at 4:30am to strong contractions. We finally started the 10 minute drive to the hospital, when we were about two stop lights away I felt her head slip between my legs. I told my husband, “she’s crowning!” He pulled up to the hospital and asked me if I wanted a wheelchair, to which I replied, “No! Her head is out come pull my pants down.” He came around to my side of the car where I was sitting with my feet up on the dashboard, he pulled my pants down and to his surprise he saw 1/3 of her head out! After another contraction she was out and I pulled her onto my stomach. Soon after a L & D nurse came rushing down with a wheelchair and blankets. From start to finish I only labored for 2 hours and 15 minutes, much different than my previous labor of 22 hours. I was in shock for a few hours afterwards because it all happened so quickly. All in all her birth was beautifully calm and a unique story that suits our daughter so well.

This post is sponsored by Safety 1st, the leader in home safety for families. Learn more.