With an irresistible savory bacon flavor and a bunch of hearty vegetables, this recipe is sure to be a hit in your household. Follow the recipe below or try mixing it up using different ingredients you already have like peas, carrots, diced chicken or frozen edamame.
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb. thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 Tbsp sugar
4-5 Tbsp soy sauce, separated
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 head broccoli, florets and stalks cut into 1/4-inch pieces
onion, cut into small pieces
1. Place a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and bacon and stir-fry until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the bacon and toss.
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce (watch out-the oil will bubble up) and continue to stir-fry until the bacon is glazed, about 30 seconds. Transfer the bacon to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
3. Add the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes to the drippings in the pan and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the broccoli and cook until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add the rice, the remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce, the broth and glazed bacon. Toss to heat through.
6. Push the fried rice to one side of the pan, crack the eggs into the other side and scramble until set, about 1 minute.
7. Mix the eggs into the rice and stir in the watercress. Divide among bowls and serve with mustard or chili sauce, if desired.
What else would you add or change to this recipe? Leave us a comment below!