When it comes to getting kids to eat their fruits and veggies (grape flavored candy does not count!) it’s totally necessary to get creative. We love this pasta recipe because it takes advantage of seasonal garden vegetables (you can sub in really any veggies you find at the market) and it’s simple enough for the picky palate. Serve with a side salad and you’ve got yourself one healthy meal.
Garden Vegetable Pasta
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes; Serves 4
8 oz. uncooked pasta (whole wheat or multi-grain)
1 medium sweet onion, peeled, chopped
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, washed/dried, chopped
½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
1 tsp. olive oil
Salt, as needed
1. Preheat Heat oven to 400° F.
2. Cover cookie sheet pan with parchment paper or use a non-stick pan and lay onion pieces and mushrooms on pan. Season very lightly with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside until easy to handle.
3. While vegetables are roasting, cook pasta according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and toss with tsp. olive or vegetable oil and set aside.
4. In large frying pan, melt butter on medium high heat, add roasted onions and mushrooms. Stir for 2 minutes. Turn heat to medium, add spinach and sliced olives and cook 2 minutes. Add pasta, stir and season with salt as needed. Turn off heat and cover if needed to keep warm.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes; Serves 4
1 bag of packaged salad
1 apple, cored, sliced
4 Tbsp. red wine vinaigrette
1. In a bowl, add packaged salad and sliced apples.
2. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Nutrition Information: Garden Vegetable Pasta & Fresh Salad Calories 501; Fat ; Protein ; Carbohydrate ; Fiber 6g; Cholesterol 33mg; Sodium 545mg; Calcium 34%DV; Vitamin A 46%DV; Vitamin C 86%DV; Iron 19%DV
Produce for Kids is a fantastic resource to help parents and kids learn about the benefits of consuming fresh produce by providing healthful meal solutions, videos, podcasts and much, much more. The site even hosts an advisory board made up of parents with a wide range of expertise who can provide additional tools and resources on how families can easily incorporate fruits and veggies into their daily routine.