Can’t wait to find out your baby’s gender? Check out these 17 creative and wacky ways to predict if your baby will be a boy or a girl. The accuracy of these old wives’ tales is not guaranteed, but you never know….
photo: Public Domain Pictures via Pixabay
1. Breaking out. If your skin has been dewy with that luscious pregnancy glow, chances are you’re having a boy, according to this old wive’s tale. If you’ve had breakouts and skin issues galore, get ready for a girl.
2. Boobage. Look at your breasts in the mirror. If your right one is larger than your left, you are having a girl. If your left breast looks larger than your right, it’s a boy.
3. Chinese Gender Chart. You can always consult a Chinese gender chart, which uses your age and the month you conceived in to determine whether you’re having a girl or boy.
photo: MarcTheShark1287 via Pixabay
4. Kickin’. Energetic babies in utero are thought to be boys. Chill babies in the womb are predicted to be girls.
5. Drano. Pee in a cup (you should be a pro at this by now); then mix in 1 tablespoon of Drano. If the color turns green, you’ll have a girl. Blue means it’s a boy. (Be careful with this one. Drano can be toxic, so please wear gloves or have your partner do this experiment for you.)
6. Headin’ Out. At your next prenatal checkup, check out baby’s head on the ultrasound pic. If it’s a square-shaped noggin, then it’s a boy. If it’s a rounder head, then it’s a girl.
7. Swingin’ For the Trees. Grab a ring and some string. Lie down on your back and have someone hold the ring by the string over your belly. If the ring swings in a circle, it’s a girl. If it swings back and forth then it’s a boy.
photo: Fotorech via Pixabay
8. Linea Negra. That dark line that runs from your pubic bone straight up the center of your belly is said, by some, to be an indicator of gender. If the line stops at your belly button, it means you’re having a girl. If the line continues up to your ribs and chest, it’s a boy.
9. Heart Rate. The faster the heart rate, the more likely you’re having a girl. The slower the heart rate (below 140 beats per minute), the more likely you’re having a boy, goes the old wives’ tale.
10. Dry Hands. If the skin on your hands is dry and chapped, you’re more likely to be carrying a boy. Smooth skin means it’ll be a girl.
photo: kaboompics via Pixabay
11. Cravings. If you’re craving salty foods, then you’re pregnant with a boy. Are you jonesin’ for something on the sweeter side? Then it’s a girl you’re carrying.
12. Baking Soda. Since you have to pee all the time anyway, pee in a cup one more time. Drop in some baking soda. If it fizzes, then it’s a boy; if it doesn’t do anything, it’s a girl.
13. Cabbage. Here’s another pee test: Boil a head of red cabbage in some water. Save the red cabbage water and mix it in a cup with your urine. If the water turns pink, it means a girl is on its way. If the water is purple, then it’s a boy.
14. Sleeping Side. Next time you wake up in the morning, or from one of those much-needed pregnancy naps, check which side you’re sleeping on. Left side indicates boy, while right means girl.
photo: FeeLoona via Pixabay
15. Mayan Prediction. This one is similar to the Chinese gender chart. The Mayans take the mama’s age at conception and add it to the year the baby was conceived. If it’s an odd number, the baby is boy. Even means it’s a girl.
16. Morning Sickness. If your morning sickness lasts beyond the first trimester, lots of people think you’re carrying a girl. If your sickness subsides or you didn’t have any to begin with (lucky you!), then it’s a boy.
17. How You Carry. If your baby is looking like a basketball, it could be you’re having a boy. If your baby bump is more spread out across your waistline, then it’s a girl.
As you might have already guessed, these are highly unscientific ways to find out what gender you’re having. In fact, most of these are old wives’ tales that have been floating around for ages. If you want to have some fun and test these methods out, please do and let us know what you find out! Remember, none of these replace an ultrasound scan or waiting until baby arrives to confirm whether it’s a boy or a girl.
Ready to announce whether it’s a boy or a girl? Check out our favorite creative gender reveal ideas.
featured photo: MarcTheShark1287 via Pixabay