- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices Arla® Cheddar Sliced Cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and mash with the back of a large serving fork or potato masher to the consistency of lumpy mashed potatoes.
- Place 2 slices of the bread on a work surface. Divide the chickpea spread between the bread and spread into an even layer. Top with the spinach, the finish each sandwich with 2 slices of Arla Cheddar Sliced Cheese. Close the sandwiches with the remaining 2 slices of bread.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the assembled sandwiches and cover. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the sandwiches, cover again, and cook until the second side is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes more. Cut in half if desired.
Did you know that Arla® is a farm-to-fridge dairy company that currently offers a full range of naturally delicious cheese varieties, including cream cheese, snack cheese and sliced cheese? As an added bonus, Arla cheese is made from only simple ingredients that you can recognize. Arla is the better-for-you-cheese the whole family will love. What more could a parent want?