Add this Chipotle Barbacoa Taco to your Cinco de Mayo meal list. Free from grains, glutens, diary and refined sugars, this tasty Mexican faire is guaranteed to satisfy while keeping your tot’s palate healthy. Pst – this 100% fresh faire will be a family favorite for slow cooker lovers.
3 pound center cut shoulder roast
3 to 5 large dried chipotle peppers, seeds removed
½ yellow onion
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup tomato paste
4 garlic cloves
1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon oregano
¾ cup beef or chicken stock
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1. Cut the roast into two pieces and trim any fat. Place in the pot of a slow cooker.
2. Combine the chipotle peppers, onion, lime juice, tomato paste, garlic, vinegar, cumin, salt, and oregano in a food processor. Process until smooth.
3. Pour over the roast and add the stock, bay leaves, and cloves.
4. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
5. Remove the beef and shred with two forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and continue cooking for 1 to 2 hours, until really tender.
6. Serve with your choice of toppings. We like avocado, radish, cilantro, and red onions.
This wonderful recipe and photo comes from Danielle Walker, acclaimed food blogger and author of New York Times bestseller, Against All Grain. All her dishes are full of flavor yet free of grains, gluten, diary and refined sugars. Get your copy for $19.21 at Amazon.com