Give the pre-made pancake mix a break with this fast made-from-scratch
buttermilk pancake recipe that even the most pancake-challenged parents can easily make. Get the little ones in on the fun by letting them help pour the ingredients into the bowl and sprinkle fresh blueberries into the batter. The whole family will be digging into these yummy cakes with 20 minutes. Pass the maple syrup!
1 ½ cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Get ready by taking out all of your ingredients and placing a griddle or large pan over medium-low heat. You’ll need 2 large bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, a whisk and a large spoon.
2. In bowl number one, pour and mix all your dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
3. In bowl number two, pour and mix all your wet ingredients together (buttermilk, eggs, canola oil, vanilla) and whisk.
4. Pour bowl number two (wet ingredients) into bowl number one (dry ingredients) and mix gently with a large spoon.
5. Butter the griddle or pan and spoon pancake batter onto the pan in little circles. You can even experiment with making shapes (mickey mouse is a popular choice).
6. Cook each side until golden (you’ll see bubbles begin to form when it’s time to flip). Top with butter and maple syrup and enjoy.
Will you make these pancakes? Tell us in the comments!
photo: Sajiahall via flickr