For dads, raising our girls to become smart, confident, powerful women means always encouraging their curiosity, nurturing their joy of play and exploration and helping them to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We asked some of our favorite dads of daughters to share their most-cherished father-daughter activities, and we received a treasure trove of ideas. Read on to discover our picks of the top 25 things that dads and daughters need to do together.
photo: Kira Kelly via Instagram
1. Go on a bike ride. Dads never forget the day when our daughters graduate from using training wheels to being able to ride solo on two wheels. Father-daughter bikes rides are ideal ways to enjoy and explore the great outdoors together.
2. Go to work together. And not just on Take Your Child to Work Day. Pick a random day for your daughter to play hooky from school, and bring her to work. Whether you spend your day filing TPS reports or you’re the master of your own business, sharing with your daughter what you do for a living (and showing off how awesome she is to your co-workers) will give each of you great and lasting insights into each other.
photo: Andrew Kezele via Instagram
3. Ride a carousel. There’s nothing quite like a leisurely ride on a merry-go-round with your little girl, whether it’s at one of the country’s most awesome carousels like the one at Disneyland, or at the local park.
4. Have “the talk.” Because it’s never too early to teach your daughter the incontrovertible fact that the Marvel Comic Universe is vastly superior to the DC Comic Universe, Wonder Woman notwithstanding.
photo: Elizabeth Blatt via Instagram
5. Prepare a family meal together. Your spouse will appreciate whatever you and your daughter whip up in the kitchen, and your kiddo—no matter how young she is—will start to learn the joys of creating yummy eats for others.
6. Tell each other secrets. Start while your daughter is young so that she’ll always know that you trust her to keep your secrets and she will, in turn, know that she can trust you with hers.
photo: Melanie Austria-Farmer
7. Build a robot. It’s a proven fact that dads and daughters love robots and there’s nothing better than working on robot projects together. In addition to instilling a love of science and engineering in young girls, robots are just super-cool.
8. Have a lunch date. Whether it’s a standing lunch date every month or for a special occasion, splurge on a fancy lunch date with your daughter, preferably at someplace that doesn’t have a kids’ menu and requires dressing up.
photo: Christopher Sprinkle via Instagram
9. Belt out songs in the car. Nothing beats the amazing acoustics in a sweet ride with your sweetest girl.
10. Build an epic couch fort. A great rainy day (or, really, any day) activity to do with your daughter.
photo: Brock Lusch via The SAHDad and The Bread-Winning Mama
12. Dance like nobody’s watching. It’ll be good practice for your first father-daughter dance at her wedding.
photo: Anthony Wilson via The Gym Maplewood
13. Work out together. Fathers and daughters who exercise together stay happy, healthy, and strong together.
14. Start a collection. Whether it’s small bottles of sand from every beach you’ve ever been to with your daughter or stubs from the favorite movies you’ve seen together, starting a shared father-daughter collection can make memories more tangible.
photo: Fiorella L. Groves
15. Share an impromptu picnic in the backyard. Dining al fresco is best served with juice boxes and plushies.
16. Learn to code. These days, our precocious daughters could probably already teach us a thing or two about Python or Ruby on Rails, but for developing junior coders, there are plenty of programs that aim to instill a love of technology in young girls that all dads should encourage.
photo: Lynda Nguyen
17. Ride a seesaw. Do it while she’s still young enough to enjoy bouncing around with her dad, but old enough to appreciate just how silly it looks.
18. Take a yoga class together. Centering mind, body and spirit are helpful consequences of doing a few vinyasas and downward-facing dogs, but the true benefit of fathers and daughters doing yoga together is the quality time spent.
photo: Kimberly Ebbets via Photos by Kim E
19. Take a walk on a beach. And while you’re at it, remember to build sand castles, collect seashells, and play in the surf with your daughter. There are plenty of great beaches to explore.
20. Attend a sporting event. Whether it’s watching your daughter’s soccer match or taking her to see college or professional league sports, sharing a love of athletics can nurture healthy competition and good sportsmanship.
photo: Lynda Nguyen
21. Explore the world. Family vacations are perfect for getting away from the usual day-to-day grind of school and work schedules. Traveling to a new city or town allows fathers and daughters to experience and see things with fresh perspectives.
22. Get a mani-pedi together. While your daughter’s nails likely are in pretty good shape, your cuticles probably could use some attention, too.
photo: Gladys Zarate Operio via Instagram
23. Attend a Minecraft convention. Or, really, any fan event that lets father and daughter share something that they both enjoy.
24. Have “the other talk.” Because it’s important for any self-possessed young girl to grow up understanding that Beyoncé is the Queen, no matter what anyone says.
photo: Kipp Jarecke-Cheng via Instagram
25. Cosplay as your favorite animated characters. What can I say except, “You’re welcome.”
What are your favorite activities to do with your daughter? Tell us in the comments below!