Being a gluten-free eater doesn’t mean ignoring your craving for french toast! This is a quick and easy gluten-free recipe that feeds 4-5 people and will appeal to everyone. Kids will love having yummy french toast for breakfast and, if you already have a gluten-free kitchen, you’ll love that these ingredients are already handy. Bon appétit!
8-10 pieces of Gluten-Free bread, like Rudi’s Cinnamon Raisin Bread
2/3 c milk or milk alternative
1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
pinch or two of salt
1 Tbl vegetable oil like safflower or sunflower (Note: butter is tasty but burns too quickly in your pan; use the oil instead.)
1. The bread needs to be dry. You can either toast the slices until just lightly browned or put them on a cookie sheet and place in a low oven (250 degrees) for 5 mins to dry them out. If it’s too soft, it will absorb too much batter and be mushy.
2. Mix all other ingredients except oil.
3. Heat pan to medium or grill pan to 400 degrees F.
4. Based on the size of your pan, only batter the slices of bread that will be able to fit; don’t let bread sit in egg-milk mix.
5. Place about 1 1/2 tsp of oil on pan and spread. Dip bread into batter. Make sure both sides are well covered. Place in pan. Cook on each side until golden. Repeat with remaining bread. Keep warm in oven until ready to serve, covered with a damp paper or kitchen towel.