For a meal that feels fancy without hours of prep work, you’ve got to try this genius recipe from Queen of My Kitchen. Mozzarella, tomato and basil is a winning combination, and with the help of your crock pot, it couldn’t be easier to get this dish on the table.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 2 lbs. total
1 8.5-ounce jar of olive oil packed sun-dried tomatoes (halves or julienne cut)
4 mozzarella sticks (also known as string cheese)
1 ounce fresh basil
1 14-ounce can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 lemon, cut into wedges
½ cup shaved Parmesan or Asiago cheese
1. Using a fillet knife carefully slice each chicken breast through the middle to make 6 thin cutlets. Place them in a shallow casserole dish and empty the entire jar of sun-dried tomatoes on top. Let the chicken marinate for at least 2-3 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Lay the cutlets flat (reserve the marinade) and place 2-3 basil leaves on top of each. Place a mozzarella stick (trim them to fit) in the middle of each cutlet and, starting at the thicker end, roll it up and secure with a toothpick.
3. Place the cutlets in a slow cooker and pour all of the sun-dried tomatoes, with the olive oil marinade, on top. Follow with the artichoke hearts.
4. Cook on high for 1½ to 2 hours or on low for 3 to 3½ hours.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and remove the toothpicks. Garnish with the remaining basil (chop if desired) and lemon wedges. Serve with Parmesan or Asiago cheese.