photo: Frank McKenna via Unsplash
In honor of President’s Day on Monday, February 19th, kids will have an extra day to celebrate being a pint-sized patriot in America’s Finest City: San Diego. We’ve got plenty of ways to play and bond as a family at events including not one but two circuses, a Harry Potter concert, a 5K with your dog, close to home ski trips and so much more! Read on for the details and start planning your weekend now!
photo: Mammoth Mountain Ski Area
1. If Presidents’ Day is also the start of the Ski Week break from your kids’ school, hit the snowy slopes for some real wintry fun. See our guide to the best family winter vacations near San Diego.
2. Staying local for the long weekend? Head to what was voted the “Best California Attraction” in our own hometown: Balboa Park. We tell you how to get the most out of exploring this gem with your kids in tow.
photo: Chad McDonald
4. Just because you’re on a budget, doesn’t mean you can’t rock the weekend. Here are over a dozen free or cheap activities to do in San Diego.
photo: Tiger! Tiger!
5. Foodie family? San Diego is bursting at the belt buckle with delicious food options both savory and sweet. See our favorite spots to get everything from donuts, croissants, pancakes, s’mores-inspired fare and hot chocolate to where to bite into the best tacos or feast your eyes on and then treat yourself to our city’s most Instagrammable food.
6. Want to spend the holiday relaxing with a great craft beer? Raise your pint at these 12 family-friendly craft breweries.
8. Interact with camels, zebras, reptiles and an impressive array of creatures big and small at our favorite spots to have an amazing animal encounter in San Diego.
photo: The New Children’s Museum
9. This is the best time to take the kids to see an awesome exhibit! It’s Macy’s Museum Month so you can get half-price admission to most of the museums in San Diego. Read our guide to the most fantastic must-see exhibits that are on right now.
10. Harry Potter fans will be enchanted by a performance of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in concert. Based on the third installment of J.K. Rowling’s classic saga, fans of all ages will experience the thrilling tale accompanied by the music of a live symphony orchestra as Harry soars across the big screen. Get ready to encounter a Dementor, ride the Knight Bus and discover just who Sirius Black really is!
photo: Rachel Cobb
11. Show your puppy some love by taking him to the 5K Paw Walk through the San Diego Botanic Garden. Enjoy food (for people and dogs), pet products and the unbeatable company of pooches and puppies.
12. Bask in San Diego’s warm, sunny “winter” by taking a hike! We’ve hand-picked the 11 best hiking trails for kids so all you have to do is lace up those shoes and go!
Where are you enjoying the weekend with your pint-sized patriots? Share in the comments.